Friday, November 9, 2012

We're In for the NJ Half!

The plan all along has been to complete our first sub-2 hour half marathon in the St. Luke’s Half in Allentown, PA. Years previous, this race has always been held the last Sunday in April or the first Sunday in May.

Moments ago; however, I received an invite from the New Jersey Half/Full Marathon, which takes place May 5. Our hearts are with the Jersey Shore so naturally it’s a run that both Matt and I want to experience this year. Best of all, $20 from each race fee will be donated to the Hurricane Sandy relief and recovery efforts. We registered immediately.

Running 13.1 miles through the neighborhoods of Oceanport, Monmouth Beach and Long Branch will be incredible and, I suspect, very emotional. Seeing the devastation caused by Sandy has been heart wrenching, though the resolve of those who live in the area and the efforts of those reaching out to help from all over the States is awe-inspiring.

The Jersey Shore is where I spent my summers in my late-teens and early-20s. It’s chock-full of awesome memories -- from my days on the beaches of Belmar, Manasquan and Point Pleasant, and happy hours at Casablanca, Martell's Tiki Bar and DJs, to my wedding to Matt at Allaire State Park and our first toast as husband and wife at our reception in Spring Lake. I can think of no better venue to mark our first sub-2 hour half.

So now our stake is in the ground. Intense training begins in January. Between now and then it’s continuing to put in miles and maintain a laser-like focus on building strength and core. I’m pumped!


No comments:

Post a Comment