Monday, December 10, 2012

Hodge Podge

I kicked off my Monday morning with an inspirational message to my Elf4Health. Her name is Rachel and we connected for the first time last night.

A couple things struck me about her. First, her timing. I had just sat down to write her an e-mail introducing myself and asking to learn a bit about her. When I opened my Gmail, I saw that she had written me just seconds before. Talk about a coincidence!

Second, she closed her e-mail as I do, with the salutation “cheers.” I read that and immediately thought of Bogart’s famous line, “I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.” I'm so excited to learn more about her as the weeks go on. I will keep you updated on our Elf’ing to one another. Maybe it will even inspire some of you to participate in Round Three.

Next up was a 3-mile run, which I completed at a 10:00 pace. For those keeping count, this is Day 29, which makes tomorrow the last of my 30-day workout challenge. Yay!! I will let you in on a little secret, though ... I'm extending it to 45!

Afterwards, I readied to head into my office. Every so often I have to meet my boss onsite when he comes in from Colorado. Today was the day.

While I was in Basking Ridge, a friend posted to Facebook a Tedx Talk on Type II Diabetes. The video intrigued me for two reasons. One, Dr. Neal Barnard, clinical researcher and founder of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, was the speaker and I am a fan of his books and his life’s work. Two, in this discussion, Barnard presents even more evidence that most Western diseases are food-borne and can be prevented (and even reversed) with a whole-food, plant-based diet, validating once again Hippocrates famous quote, “Let food be thy medicine.”

Now I realize Barnard's message isn’t sexy. It’s hard to hear, and much like climate change may seem "inconvenient," but it’s still worth a listen.

I think you'll appreciate the way in which he presents the science behind diabetes, using simple, human terms and relatable analogies to drive understanding. He speaks metaphorically about genes -- those little thingies on which many of us blame most, if not all that ails us -- placing them in one of the following two categories:

  • Dictator: Genes that give orders, leaving us with zero influence over outcome. Think eye color.
  • Committee: Genes that make suggestions, giving us influence over outcome. In other words, we can nudge these genes in the direction we want them to go by our food and lifestyle choices. Think Type II diabetes, obesity, heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer’s, et al.

I find all this scientific research liberating because it empowers us. It puts control back in our hands. I celebrate every time I learn more about nutrition and the power we have over our bodies and health.

I hope all of you listen to Barnard’s presentation. It’s 18-minutes in length and worth every second of your time.

Let me know what you think if you do. Let me know why you didn't if you don't.

Cheers … K







No comments:

Post a Comment