Wednesday, February 27, 2013

My Favorite Plant-Strong Resources

A friend of mine who is interested in exploring a whole-food, plant-based lifestyle asked me recently to name my most favorite book on the topic. Imagine the dilemma I faced -- having to choose between the likes of Doctors Barnard, Esselstyn, Campbell and Fuhrman.

My pick will most certainly surprise some -- Michael’s Pollan’s In Defense of Food. For those unfamiliar with Pollan, he advocates whole-food flexitarianism NOT veganism, which means you can still enjoy meat and dairy, though in much smaller amounts. While I do believe that a plant-based lifestyle is ideal, I recommend Pollan because his path forward seems more practical and, quite frankly, doable to many considering transitioning from the Standard American Diet to a diet rich in whole grains, fruits and vegetables. As Pollan puts it, "Flexitarians can still enjoy turkey on Thanksgiving and grandma's pot roast on Sundays."


I have personally experienced people shutting down the minute I tell them about our whole-food, plant-based lifestyle. All they hear is what they can’t enjoy -- processed food, meat, dairy and eggs, which IS the Standard American Diet. For many, that’s just way too many “NOs" and not even the most extraordinary vegetable dish from the hottest five-star vegan restaurant in Manhattan will change their minds.

Pollan eases people into it. My hope is that those who read him will be persuaded to adopt his whole-food flexitarian model and remain inspired to continue learning and moving closer towards becoming full-on plant-strong.

On another note, my friend's question started me thinking about my most favorite plant-based resources. To that end, I've put together a list for all of you interested in learning about or expanding your knowledge of this lifestyle.

I would love to read your recommendations and favorites as well. Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments section below.

Movies
*With the exception of Earthlings, all movies are available via Netflix or iTunes. Earthlings can be viewed for free online at www.earthlings.com. If you’re part of the Facebook and/or Twitter communities, I encourage you to LIKE and/or FOLLOW each film’s respective pages. You’ll get a wealth of information (and some really great recipes) beyond what each movie offers.

Forks Over Knives


Vegucated


Food Inc.


 The Engine 2 Kitchen Rescue with Rip Esselstyn


Earthlings: Click here to view the trailer

Books
All are available via Barnes & Noble and Amazon.com.

The China Study by T. Colin Campell, Ph.D
Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman, M.D.
Food Rules by Michael Pollan
In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Caldwell Esselstyn Jr., M.D.
21-Day Vegan Kickstart by Neal Barnard, M.D.

Facebook LIKES
*I LIKE hundreds of pages in the health and wellness community but there are a few I visit the most. Here they are!

Forks Over Knives
Kris Carr
My Whole Food Life
PCRM (Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine)
Vegucated

Cookbooks
All are available via Barnes & Noble and Amazon.com.

crazy sexy kitchen by Kris Carr
Engine 2 Diet by Rip Esselstyn
Forks Over Knives Cookbook by Del Sroufe
Unprocessed by Chef AJ (Try the Disappearing Lasagna. It is to-die-for!)

Lean more about a whole-food, plant-based lifestyle. Like us on FacebookFollow us on Twitter.



No comments:

Post a Comment